Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Classic Minestrone Soup Recipe

Mmmmm, it's Fall and that means it is time for soups! I absolutely love soups, chowders, chili, and stews. Of course, I really love food. But there is something about soups during the cooler seasons. Now I know that the temps haven't dropped to an extreme cool level, but Fall is still in the air. I couldn't resist having soup on my weekly menu plan this week (I even have chili later on during the week). I love minestrone soup, and I found a great clean recipe last year and decided I would bust it out again. It's easy, cheap, and healthy! What's not to love? Here's the recipe adapted from "All You" magazine. I hope you enjoy!

Classic Minestrone Soup (yields about 6 servings)

Ingredients:
2 carrots, diced
2 ribs celery, sliced
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups of low-sodium chicken broth (homemade if you have some)
28 oz. canned crushed tomatoes
salt & pepper
1 tsp italian seasoning
1 c small shell pasta or elbow macaroni
1 c shredded kale
15.5 oz canned cannellini or navy beans, drained

Combine carrots, celery, garlic, broth, and tomatoes in your crockpot. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper, & the Italian seasoning over the combined ingredients. Cook on low for 4-6 hours. Thirty minutes before serving, stir in pasta, beans, and kale. You can increase the heat to high if you choose. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese, if desired, upon serving. Enjoy with Back to Nature's Organic Stoneground Wheat Crackers or homemade wheat bread.

This is a favorite in our house! I actually had a bowl today for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment