Thursday, October 4, 2012

Food is Fuel, Not the Enemy


Let me start this post off by saying that I absolutely LOVE this picture! I have heard far too many times from people wanting to shed a few pounds that they are going on a "diet." In other words, by "diet" they mean starving themselves, depriving themselves, totally eliminating a food group. WRONG! (Can you hear the game show buzzer??)

I was one of these people at one time, but I know now that I was so wrong. Food is not the enemy. FOOD IS FUEL! My body needs food in order to function properly. I mean, the picture above gives the perfect example. We don't decide that we will not put gas or oil in our cars, and expect them to run efficiently. It could also be added that we don't put garbage and/or junk in our cars and expect them to run efficiently. No! We know that it takes the right gas and oil in order for our cars to perform at their best. So, why would we treat our bodies any differently?

Listen, I know you might be thinking, "Well, I did shed a few pounds by not eating such and such" or "I did lose some weight by only eating once a day." You may have had some pounds fall off, but did you know that after a while your body will start attacking your muscles? Yep, it's true. After a while of being deprived our bodies will begin to take away from or muscles, leaving our muscles weak. We need our muscles! So it's not just a few pounds of fat that is being lost, but some muscle too. I don't know about you, but I want to keep my muscles. (You know in case I get invited to the "gun show" or something. Just kidding.)

So, how do we make sure to fuel our bodies right all while trying to shed a few pounds? Easy. Eat. Yes, I told you to eat. Eating is not bad for us. It is when we overeat, under-eat, and/or eat the wrong things that we land ourselves into trouble.

1. Eat clean. Get a good balance of lean protein, whole grains, fresh fruits, and fresh vegetables daily. Limit your intake of high fatty foods. Steer clear of the packaged items, and opt for fresh. Switch over to whole grain items such as brown rice and whole wheat bread (read your labels, make sure it states 100%).

2. Make sure that you are not skipping meals. (This is important.) It is not just something your Mom told you as a kid. Each meal is important in order to fuel your body right. You need a good breakfast, lunch, and dinner each day. I am not a big breakfast food fan, so Shakeology is the perfect way for me to get what I need and not skip out on breakfast.

3. Eat every two hours. How cool is that? You can eat in between meals, and still be treating your body right! I do this. I eat constantly throughout the day. This will help keep your metabolism going. But make sure you are still eating the right things. Some of my favorite snacks are raw almonds, fresh fruit, apple slices with peanut butter, yogurt, & organic whole wheat crackers (when I want something salty).

4. Drink plenty of water. I cannot stress this enough! Water should be your best friend. Drink it all day! I like to add lemon to my water sometimes to add a little flavor to it. I make sure to keep my glass filled with water throughout the day.

5. Stay active! (You didn't think I was going to leave this out, did you?) Exercise is just as important as eating right. They go hand in hand. Find something that you enjoy, and do it! I am loving Insanity right now!

Grace & Peace, Jac

No comments:

Post a Comment